Installing Hot or Not Plugin
- Download the plugin ZIP file.
- Open up your WordPress admin panel for the site you want to install it on.
- Navigate to “Plugins > Add New” and click on “Upload”. Browse to find the ZIP file you downloaded in Step 1 on your computer, Select it and then click Install Now.
- Once upload has finished you can “Activate” it.
- You will now see a new menu item called “Hot or Not”. Go to Settings to set it up.
- You can search for and install it via WordPress.org.
- You can set a maximum image height and width if you like. You might need to play around with the dimensions till you are satisfied with how it looks.
TIP: If your blog Post width is 600 pixels, you would set a maximum width of your images to 280. This will allow some space between the images to maintain aesthetics. To find out your blog Post width contact your theme developer.
- Click “Update Settings”.
- Fill up the fields as you like and click “Update Settings”.
- Edit the colours to your liking and save the settings. You can see previews of how it looks after you save it. To return to the default colours, simply clear the fields, leave them empty and save the settings.
Adding Your First Competitor
- Navigate to the “Competitors” menu and click on “Add New”.
- Enter the title, as you normally would for Posts/Page, any text you may like and upload an image.
- Once the image has uploaded click “Use as featured image”.
- Publish your Competitor.
- You may choose to have as many or as little Competitors as you like. The more Competitors you have the better it will be. Too few may cause to many repetitions.
- If you find that your permalinks are not working for the Post Type, simply go to “Settings > Permalinks” and click on “Save Changes”.
Showing the Hot or Not contests
- Add a regular new Post or Page.
- Click on the lightning bolt icon and select the properties from the generator you want for the Shortcode Type.
- Click on Insert Shortcode once you’re done.
- Competitor images are randomly accessed from your Competitors database. Having too few Competitors may cause the shortcode to show the same battles more than once.
IMPORTANT: You can only show ONE shortcode per Post/Page and you can only show ONE shortcode on your home page.